Motorcycle

Motorcycle Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Motorcycle

My motorcycle is a 2003 Honda CB750 Nighthawk. The shifting

Customer Question
My motorcycle is a 2003...
My motorcycle is a 2003 Honda CB750 Nighthawk.
The shifting of the gears has always sounded clunky when down shifting into 1st, typical Honda, and had a light, notchy feel through the remaining gears.
Two weeks ago I lost control of the bike crossing through a gravel parking. It came down on the left side and since that time the shifting, up and down, has been smooth and quiet?
Obviously something has changed that was not planned, even if it feels better than before the accident. If have ridden it a few times since the accident and she still runs well.
Should I be concerned or run it till something breaks?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
10/16/2015
Motorcycle Mechanic: Bike-Doc, Motorcycle Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Bike-Doc
Bike-Doc, Motorcycle Mechanic

Hi

Welcome to JustAnswer

How very odd to have smoothed out the gearchange like that

Can you see any damage? I would think the worst it can do is bend the gearshift shaft

Any obvious marks on LH side

The only visible damage was the foot peg was bent and the tip of the kickstand was chipped. My windscreen was broken and no longer usable. The gear shift lever appears to be untouched. There is a round cover just ahead of the gear shift lever that is scuffed but intact.

Then its pretty unlikely to have damaged anything in the shift mechanism, but it may have pushed the gear change shaft in relation to the claw mechanism.

If it has improved the action with no problems or odd noises I would be inclined to leave well alone

I cant find my manual for your model only for the 1984 model!!!!

So If you need specific info I can opt-out to let a different expert help you

Or if you have a manual we could use that

Whatever suits you

When you give a rating it reflects directly on the individual experts feedback score & not on JustAnswer.com / Pearl.com or their policies.
Please do not rate my service low without giving me a chance to rectify any problem

Roger your last reply, thank you for your time.

Good Luck

Ride Safe

Bike-Doc
Bike-Doc
Bike-Doc, Motorcycle Mechanic