Motorcycle

Motorcycle Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Motorcycle

Kenny, I was reading through you post I have the same issue

Customer Question
Hi Kenny, I was reading...
Hi Kenny, I was reading through you post I have the same issue on a 98 VN1500 Nomad.
So far we have tried 2 ECU's no spark, I have taken the security line (side stand etc) directly to ground and have tried taking a seperate line from +12v through a 100 ohm resistor to the ecu. Kind of stuck now as to look nest - oh colis have been replaced as well
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
Hi Kenny
I have checked the pulse from the pick ups on the scope both pickup are giving 3v + & - signals when cranking the bike over.
10/2/2015
Motorcycle Mechanic: Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands replied 2 years ago
Kenny O.
Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands

Thanks for the request, appreciate it ! So I'm gathering here you have "no spark" Correct ? I need you to go into a little more detail on what you tried to accomplish with the "separate line" from 12vvolts to the ECU ? also are you running the stock ignition switch ?

Not sure what past question you are referring to but most of these are different and I just like to start from square one on each questions, it can get confusing.

So list out everything you replaced, if its not an OE part then let me know, also on the ECU' there is a part number, please let know what those are, and finally if you would give e the exact model code, if you don't know that then if you can give me your 17 digit frame number I can look it up.

Thanks

Kenny

Hi Kenny,I had hoped to get up to the garage this morning but other things cropped up I will try and get up tomorrow and get the infoAlex

OK, let me know, also in the mean time if you could answer those questions I asked

Thanks

Kenny

Morning Kenny,Right from the start.1998 VN1500 Nomad - No sparks. VIN JKBVNAG10XA011568 - ECU J4T08774 8213 (21119-1515).
Battery voltage 13.3V
Coils
Pri Coil 2.5 ohms & 2.5 ohms
Sec Coil 31.66k & 31.6K (with supp caps)
Sec coil 21.5K & 21.6K (without caps)
Voltage on coils 12.7V both coilsPick ups both reading 440 ohms, checked with LED tester and appears to be working, checked on scope (as attached on previous message) 3V pulses.Side stand etc to gnd - 1.69 Mohms - shorted directly to gnd for testing.Have replaced both coils and tried a 2nd ECu with no difference.According to the manual measuring from the ECU signal to the coil to gnd should be ~120V but when I measure it is dropping down to ~8v (see attached scope)Ran a separate live through a 100 ohms resistor to bypass the ign switch. With original resistor from switch 6.45V dropping to 5.8V when cranking engine over. With bypass resistor - 8.3V dropping to 7.2V when cranking over engine.Coils are original and OEM products.

Thanks Great info, is it the original ignition switch ? and I need you explain exactly how you wired the resistor in and on what wire and exactly how that is hooked up, switched ?

Thanks

Kenny

Still has original switch, feed for the resistor has been taken from the +12v feed to the coils. Resistor soldered to a small pin connector so I can swap between original and bypass circuits

https://www.hightail.com/download/bXBiYUl0NmMrV3lwSHNUQw

OK I'm posting up a link of the diagram, you need to follow it exactly how I out lined it in red, if you have ANY questions or don't understand what I did please ask, it must be done exactly how I have explained it. This will fix your problem, you might get a new resistor, start fresh !

Open the link below and save the download to your desktop

Thanks

Kenny

****PLEASE REMOVE WHAT YOU HAVE DONE PRIOR BEFORE PERFORMING MY MODIFACATIONS*****

Hi Kenny,Fitted new resistor wired in as described - going by the schematic it still uses the same line as the coils but taken before the run switch? - still no spark, voltage on the grey wire sitting at 6.34 volts. I got side-tracked with the fuel pump as it was not running when I operated the RUN switch but does run when pressing the starter, directly connecting 12V to the pump, it still didn't work - but thats a replacement pump - I did think it might have been another symptom but alas no.I am beginning to wonder if I have 2 duff ECU's though. The R/W (BL/Y) line from the fusebox (side stand etc) I am assuming will inhibit the ECU if it is open circuit, how does it actually do this, at the moment whether it is shorted or not it does not appear to make any difference on the output from the ECU to the coils.Does the Throttle Sensor have any effect on the ECU during ignition? or does it only come into play once the engine is running.ThanksAlex

Alex what is this ? What do you mean ? "going by the schematic it still uses the same line as the coils but taken before the run switch"

What I gave you is instructions and the modifications to the harness is where the ignition switch plugs into the main harness (on the harness side) is that where you performed this modification ? You SHOULD NOT do or hook up anything or worry about the run switch, nothing to do with what I requested you to do ????

Thanks

Kenny

Hooked it up as described Kenny at the ign switch, between the brown and the gray. From the schematic, the Brown wire goes through the Ign fuse onto the Br/R wire up to the kill switch onto a red wire to the coils, the red wire is where I had previously taken the feed for my bypass, was just saying it is basically the same point voltage wise.Is there anyway of testing the ECU on the bench to confirm correct operation?The fuel pump issue was a red herring, I thought it might have some bearing since it takes an initial feed from the same feed as well.Alex

Alex I still don't think you have this hooked up right reading your comment, you need to go back to my original response where I explained where to put this resistor and why it needs to be tied to that brown wire RIGHT at harness plug on the harness you keep talkin about, I getting the impression that you are looking a this from a different point, you keep bringing in different color wire and wires up to the kill switch ????? my diagram and how I pointed it out to you has nothing to do with and what you are trying to explain to me ??????

Second of all, the chances of you having TWO bad ECU's is about t he same odds of winning the lottery ! Maybe we need to talk over the phone, I just feel you are no understanding the theory of this gray wire, resister and the brown wire ??

Kenny

Morning Kenny,I did connect as you requested, stripped back the brown, pulled the gray from the connector and soldered the resistor between the 2 wires this gives the same voltage at the ECU as the original ign switch. My comments were just an observation that the voltage at the 2 points would be the same. Please ignore them.As I see it the gray wire (resistance/voltage) is Kawa's attempt at security if the ign gets hotwired?With the resistor connected as you requested I still have no spark, voltage on the gray wire is 6.34V is this correct?
Measuring the outputs from the ECU to the coils I only see a drop to about 7.5 - 8v what should I expect to see?I am in Scotland bit pricey to call USA and we are about 6-8 hours in front of youAlex

OK Alex, so you have it hooked up as requested, now if that is the case then we might have something else going on, it says that you are in United States, that might be an issue ? is this unit from the states or is it a European model ?

Kenny

We have the Skype option, I just feel we are missing something

Kenny

Hi Kenny, no I'm in Scotland. I have skype on my laptop, if you add me as***@******.*** I think it should come up on mineAlex

I will try to contact you later this evening

Thanks Kenny

Kenny O.
Kenny O.