Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

My motorcycle(a 2001 kawassaki vn 800 classic b6) got no

Customer Question

my motorcycle(a 2001 kawassaki vn 800 classic b6) got no power at all.This is now,but it started days ago with an odd sound like cranking but with no engine running nor starter spinning.Say i wanna start the engine the regular way ( open the fuel line/turn the key to on position/kill switch to on and start...The cranking sound comes but don't start and keep going by itself.Even after I go to off with everything until I unhook the battery.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially and if have not been tried; inspect the battery & ground lines and/or check/clean the battery cables + terminals as a preliminary consideration. Better yet, have the battery externally charged and then LOAD TESTed (even if new and just for the purpose of eliminating it as a suspect).

Then, check (or better yet, replace) the starter relay. To locate the starter relay, start by following the big cable from the + terminal of the battery as it always ends up tied to 1 of the 2 big terminals of the starter relay. Carefully but quickly/momentarily jump the two (2) big terminals. This is a bypass of the starter relay to enable the starter motor to spin:

• • if no starter action, then starter motor highly suspect;
  • • if starter would clack loudly, then a possible internal problem;
  • • if slow starter action, then battery/voltage/connection concern;
  • • if would start as expected, then a likely possible starter relay and/or its wiring/interlocks issue.

Please post back results / observations of the above once tried.