Motorcycle

Motorcycle Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Motorcycle

I have a 1993 HD FXSTC, all original, low miles. when to

Customer Question
I have a 1993 HD...
I have a 1993 HD FXSTC, all original, low miles. when to start by pushing starter button. It started to turn over then everything went dead. checked battery had 12 volts. went to 3 cb's under gas tank and one cb on rear fender, all have continuity from terminal to terminal meaning they are good. Meanwhile I have no power for any lights, to start, at all. what am I missing.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
9/15/2015
Motorcycle Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 2 years ago
Pete, Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

My info is limited on your model here but I see no one else has responded and thought I would see if I can help here.

Inspect all wires on this model here for any damaged,shorted or broken wiring or any corroded wiring or corroded electrical connections causing this fault.I have seen in some cases where corroded or damaged wiring will cause this fault here needing repaired.You might wiggle wiring connections to make it easier to locate and repair the fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Thanks Pete.

Hello Pete, appreciate the response but looked and moved everything physically already. This is an original owner bike with 6000 mles. On it. I know the battery positive goes directly to the starter, is it possible there's a fusible link somewhere. Thanx

Your welcome.

It is possible that this model does use a fusible ignition fed wire and in some cases this may be near or at the ignition switch or starter area.If you know for sure there is no wiring damage at all I would check for any in line fusible link wires that may need replaced.In some cases tugging on them if they stretch or break when tugged on indicates a faulty fusible link needing replaced.This does sound like a wiring fault needing located and repaired to correct this here.

Pete, I really need someone who has experience with this model. Trying to pull every wiring while the bike is together is impossible. Thanx

O.k. no problem.I will have to open this question up for others here to see if they can assist further on this as someone else here may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.

Thanks Pete

Motorcycle Mechanic: Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic

12v is not a good voltage for your battery.

12v, in fact, is only 25% charge.

everything you have posted above makes me believe you have a battery problem.

to be sure, measure the battery voltage under the following conditions:

- ignition OFF.

- ignition ON.

- with the start button depressed.

let me know what you find.

we can continue then.

Steve

Thanks for the reply steve. When I get home later I will give it a try. At this point I have the battery out and the voltage was 12.2 on my multimeter. The only thing I am questioning is with the battery in and at that voltage I still had no dash lights or headlights. I would think the lights would still be on even with battery voltage low

it is not uncommon for a battery to show a near normal voltage and, having a shorted cell, that voltage could drop to near zero as soon as you turn the key on. (12.2 is still low. it should read 12.8. I know it doesn't sound like a big difference but it is)

regardless, we won't won't know until you perform the test I specified above and report the results.

we can continue then.

Steve

Hello Steve, I checked the voltage of the battery on the bench, 12.65. I then took the battery to the bike, I did'nt put it in the bike. I used a set of alligator clips with eyelets on the ends( the wire size was 12ga.). With the ignition switch off I checked the battery voltage and it was at 2.65 volts, then I turn the key to the on position, the battery dropped down to .75 volts and I smelled sulfur coming from the battery. I disconnected it and rechecked the voltage it is 12.65 volts. Now I'm wondering if the starter is shorted or is it the battery. Thanks

NEVER connect a battery with 12ga wire and alligator clips!!!!!!!!

INSTALL the battery, with the correct battery cables and repeat the voltage measurements.

let me know what you find.

Steve

Received your message Steve, worked late the last couple 2 nights. Hopefully I will get home early Thursday to put the battery in and take readings. Thanx, russ

let me know what you find.

Steve

Steve I finally had time to put battery in the bike. the battery was at 12.30 volts when I put it in the bike. I checked the voltage when I turned the key to start position. the dash lights came on dim, voltage was at 3.45, i hit the tartar button just for kicks and it went down to 1.65. After all this I guess I will go out and purchase a new battery, you agree?
Steve
Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic