Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

My 700 Polaris sportsman guad it shuts off and starts

Customer Question

My 700 Polaris sportsman guad it shuts off and starts intermittently. I can turn the key on and nothing happens, flick the head lights on and it shuts the quad down. When I turn the lights off most of the time the quad will start.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 2 years ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially and if have not been tried; inspect the battery & ground lines and/or check/clean the battery cables + terminals as a preliminary consideration. Better yet, have the battery externally charged and then LOAD TESTed (even if new and just for the purpose of eliminating it as a suspect).

Still, proposed further checks (again if have not been done) on the possibility of over/under-voltage, regulator/rectifier and/or stator issue. With a volt/multi-meter, determine the battery voltage when:

• • ignition OFF and then when ON;
  • • when starting the engine;
  • • engine at idle;
  • • when attempting to rev the engine.

Please post back results / observations of the above once tried.