yamsuzpolaris
yamsuzpolaris, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  service technician on yamaha suzuki polaris products since early 70's. currently own and manage deal
30179223

2012 Yamaha YFZ450. With clutch lever engaged I shift into

Customer Question

2012 Yamaha YFZ450. With clutch lever engaged I shift into first gear and bike jumps forward and stalls.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  yamsuzpolaris replied 2 years ago.

clutch plates are stuck together. this sometimes happens when oil is too thick and bike has been sitting a while without being ridden, and the fiber plates sort of stick and adhere to the metal platesand even when you pull in the clutch lever the plates don't release from each other. first try starting bike, just warm it up fully, pull in clutch lever and hold it in and release it quickly many many times while blipping the throttle. do this for a minute or so. then try putting it in gear. if it works properly then the plates were lightly stuck together and doing this freed them up. if this doesn't work, then the only cure is to open the right side cover up, remove the pressure plate and all of the individual plates making sure that none are stuck together. if they are just pry them apart, wipe then off and put together. if you find the meatl plates have sort of shadow markings where fiber plates stuck to them use a fine sandpaper and clean them up. reassemble and you're good to go.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok we will give that a try and let you know.

Hello. if you are happy with my answer and I helped solve your problem, please accept and process final payment. Thank you, Mark