TIMOTO
TIMOTO, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Honda registered technician, silver level award, former Kawasaki/Suzuki tech, 40+ years exp.
8313095

I have 2003 yamaha vstar classic 1100 that has just started

Customer Question

I have 2003 yamaha vstar classic 1100 that has just started backfireing and will not idle has been setting for a year drained gas and put fresh gas in did not help put new spark plugs in and did not help it will run if I choke it but not very good and will stall after about a min but will restart what should I do next?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  TIMOTO replied 2 years ago.

The carburetor needs to be overhauled. When fuel sits in the carb it evaporates and leaves a varnish that clogs the fuel passages inside the carb. Gasoline today is of such poor quality and contains so much alcohol that this can occur in as little as two weeks depending on the air temperature. Here is a link to a parts diagram for reference:

http://fiche.worldofpowersports.com/wps/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=yamahamc&a=412&b=10&c=0&d=-CARBURETOR

If you are going to attempt to overhaul the carb yourself then I recommend you replace the pilot jet #18 rather than try to clean it because it has a very small orifice that is very difficult to clean and if not spotlessly clean will cause the symptom that you are having.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have not done anything with my bike yet it is getting so late in the season as I don't have much chance to ride I am thinking about waiting until right before spring to take it in and have it fixed but thanks for the info it is what I thought would be you answer it was the verification anyway if I am still able to talk to you after I take it in I will let you know if that was the fix.
Expert:  TIMOTO replied 2 years ago.

Please rate my answer so that I can get credit for assisting you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tim I have tried to rate your answer to my question I am not very computer literate so that might be the problem if you want to talk to me my number is(###) ###-####that is up to you but I don't intend to pay 18 dollars just to talk.
Expert:  TIMOTO replied 2 years ago.

There should be an area on this reply that shows a rating box. I do not know what it looks like because I cannot see the page that you receive and Just Answer is constantly changing the layout of the website.