Motorcycle

Motorcycle Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Motorcycle

I have a 2011 Polaris 500 sportsmen that losses power at gh

Customer Question
Hello, I have a 2011...
Hello, I have a 2011 Polaris 500 sportsmen that losses power at high end throttle and especially under a load. I feel that I have ruled out the carburetor (replaced carburetor with new factory carb). Fuel supplies strong. Any ideas?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
8/29/2015
Motorcycle Mechanic: Louie, Technician replied 2 years ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, if fuel supply/delivery has been ruled out, then the other possibility would be electrical/ignition.

Proposed further checks (if have not been done) on the possibility of over/under-voltage, regulator/rectifier and/or stator issue. With a volt/multi-meter, determine the battery voltage when:

• • ignition OFF and then when ON;
  • • when starting the engine;
  • • engine at idle;
  • • when attempting to rev the engine.

Please post back results / observations of the above once tried.

Voltage; key on and off, both 12 volts
When started, at idle 13.5
when reved, 13.7
Louie, thanks for your help. I should not of started working on this problem with you at this time. I have to leave the location for 7 to 10 days, where I used and keep the Polaris atv that I am consulting with you on. I would like to contact you upon my return and finish this repair at that time. Is that ok with you? I don't have a choice. Sorry and Thanks Chris

I understand Cris and no prob.

Appreciate the post back and would look forward to an update when able.

Cheers.

Good. I'll let you know when I get back. Chris

Thanks.

Louie, I should be able to work with you on this next Wed or Thur. Thanks, Chris

Copy that Chris; Wednesday, Thursday or when convenient your end.

Thanks

Louie, I am ready to continue working on this issue with my Polaris. Here is the voltage measurement that you ask for.
Voltage; key on and off, both 12 volts
When started, at idle 13.5
When revved, 13.7
What do I do next? Chris

Hi again Chris and appreciate the post back.

Offhand, it would appear that the readings are acceptable except when revved. I was expecting the voltage go higher up to 14.5V

Consider having the battery externally charged and then LOAD TESTed (even if new and just for the purpose of eliminating it as a suspect).

Locate, check and clean the regulator harness connector.

Re-test the battery voltage when engine is revved.

Ok, I will pull the battery and charge it over night. I have a load tester and will load test battery in the morning. How and were might I find the regulator harness connector?

To my recollection Chris, left side in most versions. Follow trace the yellow or white wires from the stator. Almost always, it would look like the item # ***** as shown HERE.

Louie, before charging, 12 volts no load and 10 volts under load. -after charging over night, 12 volts no load and 10 volts with load. I found the rectifier, disconnected harness connector, inspected and reconnected. Although the outside was dirty, the inside was very clean. No sign of corrosion. The harness has three wires like shown in the Polaris parts diagram, not two wires as in the eBay picture. What's next.

The battery if fully charged normally would have shown around 12.6V and when under load ideally would be around/~11V. In the Polaris, it should show ~14.5 when charging; i.e. engine RPM something like 2,000 or higher.

The 3 wires from the stator produces AC voltage something like 30-40 ACV with the engine idling and should go higher when engine is revved; 50~60ACV.

These 3 wires feed the rectifier/regulator that then produces the charging DCV for the battery.

Ok, but what do I do next? Louie, I have an identical 2011 Polaris atv that I could take parts from and try before I buy new ones. If you this I should do this, What should I try first? The rectifier? Thanks, Chris

Suggest to test first the "...3 wires from the stator produces AC voltage something like 30-40 ACV with the engine idling and should go higher when engine is revved; 50~60ACV..." If the voltage read are as these; then yes, swap the rectifier/regulator combo.

On the otherhand, if the voltages are lower than expected (or no significant increase in ACV) when revved, then the primary suspect would be the stator coils and not the rectifier/regulator.

Reading the ACV would be between any pairing of the 3-wires; i.e. yellow1-to-yellow2 then yellow1-to-yellow3 and finally yellow2-to-yellow3

Ok, can do I. The morning. Will let you know.

Appreciate the post back Chris and an update when able.

Cheers.

Ok Louie, got back to our project this morning and made the readings. The voltage on all three possible combo were zero ("0"). In other words, no voltage was detected. What next, and what does this mean?

With 0.0 ACV with any pairing of the 3-yellow wires engine idling/revved, then the stator coils would most likely be faulty. It would be similar to the component shown HERE.

Please confirm; measure the Ω resistance of each stator coil again with the 3 possible pairings with the engine off.

Good morning Louie. Here is the results of the resistance testing. I disconnected the connector at the rectifier and made the measurements on the away side of the disconnected harness (in other words not the rectifier side of the disconnected connector). I have two ohm settings on my meter. On the 200 ohms scale the measurements were 0.6, 0.7, and 0.6. On the 200K ohms scale, all measurements were zero or 0. What does this mean? Chris

Thanks.

The "...0.6, 0.7, and 0.6..." readings using the 200 scale are as expected but if for some reason, "...no voltage was detected..." with any pairing of the 3-yellow wires engine idling/revved, then the stator would require close visual inspection as it still is the most likely suspect.

Louie, Technician