TIMOTO
TIMOTO, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Honda registered technician, silver level award, former Kawasaki/Suzuki tech, 40+ years exp.
8313095

Recently my 2002 Vtx 1800 started acting up? I recently

Customer Question

Recently my 2002 Vtx 1800 started acting up? I recently replaced the fuel pump, it ran good for a day, then it started acting up, had no power, stalled out and it wouldn't accelerate. I took it in to a motorcycle mechanic and he couldn't figure it out. Seems like once it gets hot all the symptoms would reappear, back firing, no power! Whats wrong with my bike, I was told that it could be the Tachometer since it goes to the coil, don't know please help!
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  TIMOTO replied 1 year ago.

The most common problem with this model is the fuel pressure regulator. It is part #18 on this diagram:

http://fiche.worldofpowersports.com/wps/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=hondamc&a=475&b=24&c=0&d=-THROTTLE-BODY-ASSEMBLY

Try using a long pair of needle nose pliers to pinch of the small hose on top of the regulator that goes to the intake manifold while it is running. If this is the problem the idle running will immediately improve.