Wayne S.
Wayne S., Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Experienced and Licensed Motorcycle Mechanic - all sizes and brands welcome.
10027821

I am installing a Boyer Bransden Micro Digital ignition on

Customer Question

I am installing a Boyer Bransden Micro Digital ignition on my 78 BMW. I tried to static time it with a 12 v bulb like I used to do with the old Dyna III that I removed. The static timing doesn't work with the Boyer. Can it be static timed or only with trial and error with a timing light?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Wayne S. replied 1 year ago.

Time it to the full advance mark (F) at 4000 rpm.

If you set it by the advance marking then the static timing will take care of itself. You might want to check it and then retard the timing

slightly by a few degrees just to be on the safe side.

These use a magnetic sensor not hall sensors like the other may have used. When you speed up the engine you will see the timing marks move in the timing light as it advances the ignition timing.

At 4000 or so it should be fully advanced and then move the adjustable plate until the advance timing mark is aligned in your view opening at that rpm. That should do it.

-----