Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004
11090168

GOT CROSS POLARITY INSTALLING A NEW BATT INSTRUMENTS ARE NON

Customer Question

GOT CROSS POLARITY INSTALLING A NEW BATT INSTRUMENTS ARE NON RESPONSIVE NOW JUST DEAD AS WEL L AS Y NEUTRAL LIGHT
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
bike starts all seems normal except for instrumentation dead
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

check fuses with an ohm meter. specifically, the INSTRUMENTS fuse and ACCESSORY fuse.

the fuse block is under the left side cover. there is a legend in the cover showing which fuse is which.

let me know if you need more help.

Steve

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi and thanks Steve I had already checked the fuses, what ended up being the problem was one of the two relays under the seat had come apart being in a rubber retainer had slipped down and the relay was not engaged after tracking the diagram on the shop manual scametic wire diagram I was able to track the problem the fuses were fine, it all started with the bike shutting off for no reason being warmed up and sounded as if the batt was out but it was replaced 2 mos ago with the best I could buy the batt & starter checked out ok after going in the primary drive to loosen the starter I put a 1-1/2" box end on the crank nut it wouldn't budge with plugs out, put it in 5th gear and rocked it hard it came loose now what, top end was done about 5000 mi back and a screaming eagle oil pump punched out to 95", cams but always heard a noisy lifter wondering if push rod didn't get caught getting out of rocker that jammed the cam lobe & motor seems fine now but it will remain in back of mind, what could it be 40.000 mi motor not abused much , well maybe with an overload of brewed barley a couple of times, will open rocker boxes and take a look @ valve train and see what I see, if any ideas as to what could have caused a the motor to lock up advice. thanks and I feared the ems being fried