RSRBOB
RSRBOB, Technician
Experience:  Former Factory Service Rep, Dlr Line Tech, Service Manager, General Manager, Store Owner
10825618

I have a 2003 gsxr 1000 and I got a used ecu and put in the

Customer Question

Hey I have a 2003 gsxr 1000 and I got a used ecu and put in the bike and it wouldn't start I put the old one in and it starts but it only runs on two cylinders and the motor is good! The battery is very low I have to jump it but if I ride it the dash blinks and the bike shuts off any help?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 2 years ago.

Hi and thank you for your question.

First, it sounds like the used ECU is no good.

2nd, it sounds like you may have a charging system problem, and the ignition system is not getting enough voltage to allow it to operate properly.

I suggest charging the battery to capacity then running the bike with a volt meter across the battery terminals to see if it is charging or not.

Let me know what you get with that and we can go forward from there.

Thanks

RSRBOB

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks for the advice.. I replaced the cdi and it crunk up but it sounded bad.. I have a new regulator I'm going to install tomorrow and I'm getting fire all the way to the injectors but 1 and 2 are not firing I put in new ones and same thing! The coils are firing and plugs are new,The motor is new so I know it's good any ideas? The bike runs for five mins then the battery is dead I'm all out of ideas..
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.

If the injectors are not working properly, the easiest test you can perform is swap 1&2 with 3&4 and see if the problem follows the injectors or stays on 1&2. If it follows the injectors, I suggest getting them cleaned professionally. Check with a local car speed shop or auto parts store to see if they do it or have someone do it for them. Down here, it is only about $35 per injector to get them cleaned. MUCH MUCH less expensive than replacing them.

RSRBOB

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I swapped the injectors with two good ones and one and two still not firing
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.

Just curious, did you swap 1&2 with 3&4 or did you get injectors off another bike?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did both.. I have a charging problem because if it runs for five minutes then the dash blinks out and the bike goes dead
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.

Alright then.

Lets check the AC output from the stator.

Check the ACV out of the stator unplugged at idle. You should have 15~18 ACV out of all three combinations of wires coming out of the stator. If you do not have those results, the stator has failed. If you do have good output from the stator, check the DCV out of the rectifier on the red wire. If you are not getting 13.5~14.5 DCV @ 5000 RPMs on the red wire, the rectifier has failed.

Let me know what you find.

RSRBOB

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bad stator I just replaced the regulator today.. Will that have something to do with it running on two cylinders
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.

Yes. The ignition is DC powered (battery) and if the battery gets low, it will not run correctly.