P.J.
P.J., Technician
Experience:  10 years as a mechanic and fabricator in a privately owned, local, custom bike shop.
75205684

2010 Street Glide Trike has problems keeping up at ghway

Customer Question

2010 Street Glide Trike has problems keeping up at highway speeds when in 6th gear. Rider has the throttle fully cranked at 70 to 75 mph and cannot maintain speed on flat ground
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  P.J. replied 2 years ago.

A little more information may be helpful.

• The bike should be able to obtain that speed in 4th gear. Will it maintain speed in lower gears?
  • Does it run well or does the engine seem to not achieve the necessary RPM?
  • What trike kit has been installed?

Thanks, P.J.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It can maintain speed in 1st thru 5th gear. but in 6th it cannot maintain a steady speed. It appears to be running well otherwise. This is not a trike kit, but a Harley Streetglide Trike FLHXXX, built as a trike by the factory from the ground up.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was under the impression I would not be billed until I had an answer. I got 3 questions and billed. Not an answer.
Expert:  P.J. replied 2 years ago.

I see. The problem is likely a slipping clutch. The clutch will slip easiest in 6th gear. It is really the only component that can cause the problem if it only happens in high gear. Most any other issue would manifest itself in any gear and speed.

You may simply need an adjustment or you may have worn friction plates. There are several reasons they can slip.

Typically, if this is the issue, you can smell that the primary fluid smells somewhat like hot brakes smell (this is the only way I can explain it).

I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Thanks, P.J.