Clifton B.
Clifton B., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Master Auto Tech
6166830

I have a 2006 flhtcuse cvo with a 103 ci motor. It has gh

Customer Question

i have a 2006 flhtcuse cvo with a 103 ci motor. It has high mileage but is in excellent condition. Just got it a few months ago and have put less than 100 miles on it. Motor has allways been real quiet. After a couple of weeks i was letting it run one
day just to keep the battery charged. The lifters just started to get louder and louder. Shut it down and waited a couple of hours and started it up and it was quiet for about 5 minutes the started it over again. Took it to the local indy as with my health
i can't work on anything. He changed the lifters out with fueling performance lifters . Didn't help so he put in a fueling high performance oil pump. Since doing that i had not ridden the bike until 2 days ago and after about 3 miles the lifters are noisy
again. The local indy is a very good mechanic and does HD warranty work. He also said the cam tensioner had been upgraded to the newer model and he cleaned out all the oil passages. Oil pressure before changing out the pump was around 32 and now it is a lot
higher. Had not been started in a week until today. Started it and it was nice and quiet, rode about 2 miles to put gas in it and went back home. Was nice and quiet the whole way, went back out to run to the store on it and the second it started all lifters
were noisy the very second it started.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.

Not knowing the entire history and based solely on the information provided a few things come to mind.

• Verify the tappet filter screen is clean and flowing oil properly.
  • Check the lifter block bore size to verify that it is correct for the new lifters. If the bore size is the issue allowing the lifters to bleed down quickly from the valve spring pressure it can sometimes be verified by temporarily switching to a straight 60 weight oil. The higher, single viscosity will typically "solve" the problem due to its being harder to force out of the lifter piston.
  • Verify the rocker arm pivot pins are not the source of the noise as there is an issue with some that become worn and begin to slightly rotate making the tapping noise against their hold down bolts. The peen marks, which will match the location, shape, and size of the pivots on the retaining bolts should be visible when they are removed.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Thanks, P.J.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, As stated in my ? all filters and screens have been checked and cleaned. Engine is like new inside and out, all tolerances are to specs and the new fueling hp pump and lifters have oil pressure of 45-50 psi at idle. This problem is not constant, as i said at the end of the ? last time i rode the bike for 2 miles it ran nice and quiet. Cut it off for 15 minutes and when i started it back up the noise was there right then and i mean it sounds as if all 4 lifters are noisy, not just one. This bike has only been run with syn 3 oil. The cam plate and tensioners has been updated to the newer model.
Expert:  P.J. replied 1 year ago.
I apologize but I don't see any mention of the cleaning of the lifter screen or the measurement of the tappet block bores in you original information.
If you're confident that everything in your engine is like new and has no issues then I suppose there isn't much to check nor is it possible that there is anything wrong with anything that is new.
The noise must be inherent to the design of the components you've chosen.
Best of luck with your issue.
I'll opt out and maybe another expert has the ability to help you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am pretty sure this is a rare problem as the shop that installed the parts is authorized by Harley to do their warranty work and has been in business here for over 20 years. I have been doing my own wrenching for over 30 years until my health went bad. Was hopeing someone maybe had run into this problem before.
Expert:  Clifton B. replied 1 year ago.

did you also check the down stream sensors

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this bike does not have oxygen sensors
Expert:  Clifton B. replied 1 year ago.

i am sorry that post was not for yoiu and i know nothing about bike i will opt out sorry again