Wayne S.
Wayne S., Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Experienced and Licensed Motorcycle Mechanic - all sizes and brands welcome.
10027821

Wayne, I have a 2006 yamaha V Star that has no power. I put

Customer Question

Hello Wayne, I have a 2006 yamaha V Star that has no power. I put in a new battery and the main 30amp fuse is good and the starter solenoid has the same voltage as the battery. I did change the solenoid out and crossed the hot & ground but now that I replaced both of them i get noting so I'm thinking of what esle would not let power get to the ignition ? noting when i turn the key on.
no lights horn or any signs of power.
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm asking in what order does the power sources travel from the battery to reach the ignition and what are the most likely candidates ? as I have stated I have a new battery now showing 13.1 volts and the solenoid shows the same & the main fuse is good and also switch that out just to make sure.
Expert:  Wayne S. replied 2 years ago.

Hi, so the starter solenoid relay is not activated by the start button?

Have you checked the ignition fuse? the starting circuit has a cut off relay as well as the solenoid relay. the cutoff relay gets power from the battery to ignition switch to ignition fuse and through the engine kill switch.

Start button can only work if the cut off relay is active.

All fuses get their power from the ignition switch except the main fuse. Let me know what info you need.

---

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did acess the other fuse panel and all fuses were ok but i have not check the cut off relay where is that located ?
and YES the starter solenoid will NOT activate by the start button.
Expert:  Wayne S. replied 2 years ago.

I would check the fuses with a multimeter if you have access to them. They can sometimes look okay but are not.

That is more likely in the case of complete power failure.

The starter relays depend on the fuses for their operation.

Once your horn is working again all the rest might fall in line.

Check for power on your fuse panel and fuses. Maybe the ignition switch is not sending the fuses what they need.

---

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok i will do that fuse check with the multimeter & do you know where the loction of the cutoff relay ?
Expert:  Wayne S. replied 2 years ago.

Be sure to check for battery voltage coming to the fuse panel from the ignition switch first. The wire might be brown/blue. A red wire supplies the ignition switch from the battery.

The starter cutoff relay is under the fuel tank or neck covers somewhere. I would leave that for now until the rest is checked out and get back to me with any findings.

---