Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

2007 Vinson 500 manual shift ATV foot shifter very hard to

Customer Question

2007 Vinson 500 manual shift ATV foot shifter very hard to shift some time shift smooth lots of times you really have to pull hard to get it to shift, almost to a complete stop and it's just been slowly coming on
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 2 years ago.

Hi and thank you for your question.

Generally speaking, when a transmission is difficult to shift, it is related to a clutch problem, in that the clutch is not allowing the transmission to unload which allows the gears to slide back and forth unencumbered on the transmission shafts.

A quick easy to to determine this is to elevate the rear wheels, and rotate the wheels with one hand while operating the shifter with the other. You do not want to run the engine while trying this test. What you are doing is determining how the transmission linkage and gears work when not under a load. If it shifts fine with the engine off and spinning the rear wheels by hand, then you definitely have a clutch issue.

Understand, for the transmission to shift properly, at least one of the transmission's 2 shafts must be spinning. That is why you have to be able to spin the rear wheels by hand to test it. It will not shift if the bike is just sitting still and you are trying to move the shifter.

Let me know what you get,

Thanks

RSRBOB

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This is a four-wheel-drive bike and put it into two wheel drive lifted the rear tires off the ground while spinning them with one hand it shifts to first gear fine and then the wheels come to a stop so I know I'm in first gear and it shifts back to neutral fine The shifting problem comes and goes it's not constant it seems to do it more in high range it will do it in low range but not nearly as much and it does not do it as much in four wheel drive low
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This is a stupid question The bike has only 350 miles on it and it has set a lot the oil has not been changed for over a year and a half but in that time it's only had about 50 miles put on it will changing the oil make a difference it shifted fine for the first 300 miles
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was in a bad car wreck that's why the bike sat so long but I'm finally back on my feet and love to ride and I'm just now getting back into it if you're wondering why it has such low miles it was never rode hard and a few times running at a low speed of 3 to 4 miles an hour it was shifted into four-wheel-drive would that make a difference
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 2 years ago.

Tell you what, since you think my attempts to gather information on a vehicle I cannot see with my own eyes is stupid, I will let you try your luck with another expert. Hopefully he won't ask you stupid questions to try to help you.

RSRBOB

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did not mean to offend you I was trying to say that stupid question was my stupid question because I didn't know if that would have any bearing on it not shifting correctly I do appreciate your help and I did not mean nothing personal I just feel like I was asking you a stupid question because I do not know nothing of these matters
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I apologize I worded it incorrectly I am the one that feels stupid and the oil level is full and it has the right motorcycle oil in it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I hope you get these responses I meant nothing personal to you and again I do apologize it was just a misunderstanding of what I was trying to say
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am still waiting for my motorcycle expert to reply to me I'm not sure what happened on the last one there was a misunderstanding
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am still waiting to hear from my motorcycle expert