Motorcycle

Motorcycle Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Motorcycle

I have a 2004 Kawasaki ninja 250. I have power coming to

Customer Question
everything, I even tested to...
I have a 2004 Kawasaki ninja 250. I have power coming to everything, I even tested to see if there was power at the spark plug boot and there is, but when I insert a spark plug there is no spark?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
8/2/2015
Motorcycle Mechanic: Louie, Technician replied 2 years ago
Louie, Technician
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,
Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...
Initially, what is the voltage reading when "...tested to see if there was power at the spark plug boot..." ?
I don't have a voltage tester so I do not know I only have a test light but the test light is a lot dimmer on the spark plug boot than it is on the side of the coil where the power comes in
I understand.
The red wire of both ignition coils has an IGN+12V supply while the black and the green wires would have pulsating voltage when attempting to start/crank.
On the other hand, the sparkplug wire must have more than 15,000V hence it is powerful enough to cause an arc; i.e. voltage jumping over the gap of the sparkplug tip. Absence of the spark/high voltage would indicate that the ignition system is not working.
Test # *****; please try starting with the clutch lever pulled and the sidestand folded up.
I did it still didn't start.
I understand.
Then a multimeter would be needed to pursue other tests.
Additionally, please post back the different wire colors connected to the ignition module.
Also, check/replace the 10A ignition fuse #3.
Do you know where that fuse would be located?
In most versions, it would be on the right side behind the plastics with a cover with the label "FUSE" or in some "JUNCTION BOX". The seat must be removed. Almost always, the F3 fuse would be labeled as an IG
I tested all fuses and all were good
Then the multimeter would now be needed for all other tests.
Ok what are the other tests?
Please re-confirm; there is fresh fuel and engine would turn when starting but not run since no spark.
Proposed checks (if have not been tried) with the use of a multi-meter on:
• IGN+12V on the blue/brown wire to the ignition module and the red wires of the ignition coils;
• pulsating low voltage between the 2 wires of the pickup coil;
• pulsating voltage on the 2 wires from the ignition module to the ignition coils;
• green/black wire of the ignition module is held low by either side stand switch, clutch safety switch and/or the neutral switch;
• gray wire to the ignition module (if present) is receiving less than +12V;
• black/yellow wire is tied to the common ground.
Wire colors above are on most versions.
Voltage measurements performed while attempting to start/crank/engine turning.
Louie, Technician