Motorcycle

Motorcycle Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Motorcycle

My Kawasaki mule hokes down when I hit accelerator but idles

Customer Question
fine, actually it use to...
My Kawasaki mule hokes down when I hit accelerator but idles fine, actually it use to idle out and run fine but now it idles fine but will not go. Both spark plugs are arching but I suppose they could still be bad ...the breather ducting is clean and I used gumout to clean the bowl (if I understand what the bowl is) The fuel filter is new and the pump is pumping the fuel through ...what's my next step?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
Answered in 1 day by:
7/27/2015
Motorcycle Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 2 years ago
Pete, Technician
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
I apologize as my info is limited on this model here.
From what is described this sounds like a fuel issue with a lack of fuel to the engine.If the pump is o.k. as well as the filter I suspect an issue with the carb. or injection system not letting fuel into the engine properly.This will need checked/tested further to pinpoint and repair the cause here.
Thanks Pete
Hi Pete: I'm sorry it took so long to reply, but I'm on the road a lot repairing appliances. I read your answer and so I cleaned the carborator out with gum out carberator cleaner. The carberator looked pretty clean. I actually got it running but it doesn't sound right and it is still weak. Yesterday day I held the choke out and made it wine real good but then I started smelling something like a burning smell. Bad as I thought that was, it actually starting running and I could ride it; however, it still did not sound right, and was a little weak! The engine sounds muffled. Like if you were trying to growl with your mouth closed. It almost sounds like a boat motor that has hit sand. It doesn't have the crisp growl, but a deep grumble. I wonder if a have a carbon problem. What do you think?
One thing I would check into is to see if the exhaust is plugged up,in some cases plugged exhaust will cause this type of fault here.Carbon can occur as well but this sounds more like a possible restriction in the exhaust system.
Thanks Pete
I took the pipes and spark arrester off and flushed them with air first and then water then dry nitrogen. It blows through the spark arrester ok but nort as strong as it blows out. I had the nitrogen tank at 100 psi but it came out of the spark arrester about like a dryer vent pressure. Is the spark arrester the same as a muffler? I tried reving it and beating the arrester with a mallet, but very little came out. The engine still sound smuffled. I don't know what inside the arrester, but its either caked up with soot or carbon real good or it has a normal restriction pressure. What's the ebst way to clean one?
I took the pipes and spark arrester off and flushed them with air first and then water then dry nitrogen. It blows through the spark arrester ok but nort as strong as it blows out. I had the nitrogen tank at 100 psi but it came out of the spark arrester about like a dryer vent pressure. Is the spark arrester the same as a muffler? I tried reving it and beating the arrester with a mallet, but very little came out. The engine still sound smuffled. I don't know what inside the arrester, but its either caked up with soot or carbon real good or it has a normal restriction pressure. What's the best way to clean one?
Pete, Technician