Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

I changed the oil om y 83 Honda 200 XL using a premium 10w-40

Customer Question

I changed the oil om y 83 Honda 200 XL using a premium 10w-40 and now it won't go into nuetral running or stopped
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 2 years ago.
Hi and thank you for your question.The first thing I would like to know so I can provide good service for you is exactly what brand of oil did you use when you changed the oil? This truly has no bearing on the neutral problem but I get scared when someone describes a "premium oil" thinking they used some high dollar automotive oil. That can create its own set of problems.Now, as far as the clutch goes, you only need to use the clutch when the engine is running, to unload the transmission so it will shift.If the engine is not running, the clutch doesn't matter because there is no load on the dogs of the transmission. HOWEVER, motorcycle transmissions are NOT designed to shift when the transmission shaft or shafts are not spinning. This has to do with the design of the MC transmission. They have dogs on the sides of the gears that allow one gear to engage another. A dog is essentially a trapezoid shaped metal block on the side of the gear. Each gear typically has 3 or 4 of these dogs on them, or they have slots cut into the sides of the gears between the transmission shaft and gear teeth that the dogs will engage.Because those dogs have to line up with other parts to allow the gears to move and change or to get into neutral, at least one if not both transmission shafts have to be turning to allow them to find a spot where it can move and disengage the last gear and go to the next.I am attaching a motorcycle transmission parts diagram so you can see the dogs I am talking about. Reference #'s 3 and 10 illustrate what I described earlier. Here is a link to the diagram: http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/riva_normal/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=hondadb&a=3&b=13&c=0&d=1985%20XR100R%20TRANSMISSIONBTW, I realize this isn't your bike but the design is the same, even though the parts are not interchangeable.You will need to elevate the rear wheel and spin it with one hand while shifting the transmission with the other, with the engine OFF.If the transmission shifts with the engine off and the rear wheel spinning, then we will need to adjust the clutch. Bear in mind that is if and only if the transmission shifts with the engine off and the rear wheel spinning while trying to shift. When I say spinning, I don't mean it has to be spinning fast, just rotating. You very well may be able to go through all the gears and never make 1 full rotation of the rear wheel. You can also rock the rear wheel back and forth and accomplish the same thing. The transmission shaft just has to spin.If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.ThanksRSRBOB