Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

I was getting a really bad popping noise when turning left

Customer Question

I was getting a really bad popping noise when turning left on my 1996 Polaris Magnum 425 4X4. Figured it was CV joint so I ordered entire new CV axle and bearings. I put it back together and it did not fix the problem. Could this be a transmission issue instead?
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The popping noise is so bad it vibrates the handle bars and it feels like it is so seized up something is going to break. It also seems the gears are being affected also where if I try putting in reverse after the popping accures it doesn't grab a gear right away.
Expert:  Wayne S. replied 2 years ago.
Did you check the chains and sprockets? Any teeth worn or broken?The bearings in the center chain tightener can get bad also.That would be my guess at this point.--