Wayne S.
Wayne S., Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Experienced and Licensed Motorcycle Mechanic - all sizes and brands welcome.
10027821

I am rebuilding my 1980 xs650 yamaha carbs. I have the jets

Customer Question

I am rebuilding my 1980 xs650 yamaha carbs. I have the jets out and all apart. When I turned the carbs right side up two tiny steel balls fell out. I didn't see where they came from. Can you help?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Wayne S. replied 2 years ago.
I think they are the ball bearings used to locate the chokeshaft on their detents.
Expert:  Wayne S. replied 2 years ago.
There should also be some small springs that go in beforethe balls. Let me know if you have more info.
Expert:  Wayne S. replied 2 years ago.
You have to insert the spring and then push on the ballas you slide the choke rod in until it holds the ball.A bit tricky but can be done. Most carbs use twoballs and 2 springs, a set in each carb.Grease fittings have similar springs and ballif you lose those. Just drill the top of the fittingto get the springs and ball out.-----