Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

TRX420FPE ES: My customer has a 2012 Honda TRX420FPE ES 4 x

Customer Question

My customer has a 2012 Honda TRX420FPE ES 4 x 4. It starts good and will run at the top speed of 3 miles an hour, the engine dies, runs a second, dies a second.
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This ATV has been bad since the customer bought it new. Honda has tried three times to fix so the customer brought it to me. I can usually fix most everything.
Expert:  TIMOTO replied 2 years ago.
Try running it with the air box lid off, any difference?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My credit card company declined the payment to you. I tried putting in a different card number and it won't take the security code. If someone would call, I can give you a card number over the phone.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will try running it with the air box lid off but will need to wait until this afternoon when it gets warmer here.
Expert:  TIMOTO replied 2 years ago.
Sorry I do not do live phone calls.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay. Forget the phone call option. Have you any idea what to do to fix this Honda?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you able to diagnose my problem?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It did not help to take the lid off the air box. Any more suggestions?
Expert:  TIMOTO replied 2 years ago.
I am assuming that there is no FI light coming on and no flashing of the dash display, is that correct?
There are no service bulletins with regards ***** ***** issue and I have never encountered that specific problem before.
Try attaching an inductive timing light to the sparkplug wire then run the engine and see if the timing light quits flashing when the engine dies to determine if it is an ignition problem.
Also, remove the radiator cap and verify that the radiator is full.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have checked everything that you have mentioned except the radiator.
Expert:  TIMOTO replied 2 years ago.
I will do some additional research on this and get back to you. Was fuel pressure checked or the fuel pump replaced?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It can't be a fuel pump problem because it will run for one second and dies for a second. It will run just fine when the weather is cooler.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what I just wrote isn't exactly correct "t can't be a fuel pump problem because it will run for one second and dies for a second". It doesn't actually die but it starts to buck at 3 miles an hour if the temperature is over 70 degrees. It doesn't matter if the engine is cold or warm. It runs fine if the temperature is cooler and it always idles fine.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have a question. How is the fuel injector controlled?
Expert:  TIMOTO replied 2 years ago.
The fuel injector is controlled by the ecu (engine control unit). It receives data from the various sensors and calculates how long the injector should be open and then sends power to the injector for the calculated duration.