Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

I have a 1995 Dyna Wide Glide with stock carb that wont idle

Customer Question

I have a 1995 Dyna Wide Glide with stock carb that wont idle without the choke pulled. It was parked for about 3 months while I painted it. I replaced the fuel valve with a Pingel and plugged the vacuum hose. I found a tear in the rubber seal between the carb and manifold and replaced it. I also plugged the vacuum hose to the VOES. Still wont idle. Pops and spits fuel with the air cleaner off, but seems to sound ok above 2000 rpm.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Wayne S. replied 2 years ago.
Sounds like the idle circuits are plugged up by old fuel varnish.If your idle fuel screw has been uncapped you could trysome carb spray up into the fuel circuit after removing the idlefuel screw under the front side of the carb.Turn it back out about 1-3/4 turns and adjust from there.If that doesn't help the carb may need soaking in carb cleanerthat is safe for rubber like yamahas type.The fact that it runs above idle indicates a plugged idlejet or circuit. Air leaks can be a problem but it sounds likeyou addressed that. Fuel can go bad in 3 months andgum things up. Let me know what other info you need.-----