Wayne S.
Wayne S., Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Experienced and Licensed Motorcycle Mechanic - all sizes and brands welcome.
10027821

Kawasaki 300 bayou. the starter bendix is screamin and not

Customer Question

Kawasaki 300 bayou. the starter bendix is screamin and not engaging properly. Is there a fix or do I need new one?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Wayne S. replied 2 years ago.
The starter drive or bendix used in the Bayou is a one wayroller and spring setup behind the flywheel. Over timethe springs weaken and the rollers wear as well asthe surfaces they work on. This makes the rollers slip whenthey should be holding so the starter can turn the enginevia the small drive chain. Temporary fixes usually don'tlast long but if you can replace the springs and rollers atleast and examine the roller surfaces for wear then itmight go a bit longer. Full replacement will be best of courseand should work like new again. You will have to pull offthe recoil starter and will need a puller for the flywheel rotor.The starter drive parts are on the back of the flywheeljust waiting for you to save them, lolLet me know if you need more info, thanksWS---
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I guess I used wrong terminology. What I'm trying to figure out is the thing on the end of the starter. Its a splined sleeve inside the sprocket that is turning without turning the small sprocket. what is it and how does it work?
Expert:  Wayne S. replied 2 years ago.
That is the torque limiter, it is supposed to hold to a predeterminedtorque set by the manufacturer. It prevents damageif for some reason the engine is having problems turning over.It also protects the other one-way drive with the rollers.If it starts slipping then the engine doesn't turn.Has to be replaced as it is not possible to repair.http://www.penguinscouts.com/TL/IMG_0068.JPG------LIMITER,STARTER IDLE GEAR###-##-####
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is the limiter necessary, I bought a new starter and it only came with a sprocket, not limiter?
Expert:  Wayne S. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, the limiter is not provided on some kits but it can help to preserve
the other roller and spring drive in case of engine kickback.
If the engine runs well it will probably do okay.
The limiter is about one hundred fourty dollars
so I would likely either do without it or find a good
used one online or at an atv wrecker.
WS
----