Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a 99 fat boy. last year or so , I was needing a starter…

Customer Question
I have a 99 fat...
I have a 99 fat boy. last year or so , I was needing a starter and some other stuff so I parked it in my garage. Now a year later I have put on a starter, new screaming eagle plugs and cleaned out the gas tank filter and changed the oil and filter. I believe it is doing that wet sumping thing that I hear about. Once it is running I have oil coming out of the breather. BUT my main problem is, I can start it up I have oil pressure on the gauge, it will go up to about 40/45 and then it goes down to about 25 once it warms a little. Once I go riding about a mile or two my oil pressure goes all the way to 0 and my oil tank temp gauge goes over 200 degrees. I have changed the ball and spring in the oil pump. I have checked the check valve and replaced the spring in the oil pump. The dealer didn't have a new check valve. I have checked the oil screen also, all was clear. And I have put on a new pressure gauge, just in case. I went riding again and the exact thing is happening. Oil has to be circulating or else how can it be 200 plus degrees in the tank? What should I do? Do you think it could be the oil pump? Thanks.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
Actually, the oil pressure is good until it is just idling (red light or parked) then its on zero, but the oil temp is still over 200 degrees.
7/4/2015
Motorcycle Mechanic: Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
I don't know if you have a problem or not.the oil pressure should be around 25-35 psi at operating temperature and at highway speeds.at idle, there is no spec. if the low oil pressure light is off, it's ok as long as the oil is circulating.those oil pressure gauges are cheap gauges. most will not calibrate to lab standards.with the engine running, remove the oil tank cap and look into the tank. if you see the oil moving, it's circulating.so, if the oil is circulating, the oil pressure light is off and the oil pressure is around 30 psi going down the highway with the oil over 200 degrees.....you have no problem. as for the sumping....always check, top off and change the oil HOT, with the bike straight up and level. and never overfill the oil tank. the excess oil will just get dumped out the breathers into the oil filter. let me know if you need more help.Steve
I do not see the oil circulating. It looks as though it is just vibrating. Should it be a definite movement?
you should see the surface of the oil in the tank appear to move across the tank. but if the oil were NOT circulating, you would be experiencing lifter noise and your pistons would have seized and the oil would be at ambient temperature......no way would it get to 200 degrees. let me know if you need more help.Steve
let me know if you need more help.
if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING..
thank you,
Steve