Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a similar problem with bike shutting off but my side…

Customer Question
I have a similar problem...
I have a similar problem with bike shutting off but my side stand switch is on and working properly. The dash indicator light shows it off when liarea and on when down, but still kills the bike as soon as shifted into first period. Please advise.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
7/2/2015
Motorcycle Mechanic: Louie, Technician replied 3 years ago
Louie, Technician
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,
Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...
Initially, if and only if the side stand switch is confirmed to be good/functional, then proposed preliminary check or better yet, replace the diode module.
Please post back results / observations of the above once done.
Please explain further what the diode is and where it could be found. Are you familiar with Aprilia Caponord?
Not with this particular model but yes on the described symptom and the wiring.
Or would you perhaps prefer a second opinion?
I read a post from a previously answered similar question off this site. That is why I thought I was posting to that particular person that new my model very well. Can you lead me through finding said part to diagnose?
The diode module serves as part of a circuit that includes the clutch lever switch, neutral switch and the side stand switch. All these switches feed the diode module that in turn enables the starter motor to engage and in this particular instance for the ECU to continue firing the ignition coils.
Hence if the side stand switch tested good but engine would still die if shifted into gear, then the diode module would be the most likely suspect.
To my understanding, the diode module would be co-located with the relays under the seat towards the rear of the bike. Most versions would have a 5-pin connector.
Ok thanks. I will check for it and get back to you on statis5.
Appreciate the post back now and an update later or when able.
Cheers.
The new diode did not fix the problem. It is still cutting off when put in gear. Any more suggestions?
It took this long to get am ome Aprilia diode bought and shipped and I still have no solution to my problem.
I understand.
The above proposed approach is as prescribed by the troubleshooting guide for this model. Please see the link below
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/92079112/Aprilia%20Caponord%20ETV1000%20TS.jpg
If the side stand and the diode module are functional, then next check would be for the ignition safety system particular its wiring and connections.
Do you have access to a multimeter?
Yes
Please see the link below for wiring diagram of the Ignition Safety System. Of particular interest would be the forward and reverse resistance reading of the single diode connected to between the neutral gear switch and the ECU.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/92079112/Aprilia%20Caponord%20ETV1000%20Ignition%20Safety%20System.pdf
Similarly, check the integrity/continuity of the wiring to the diode module.