Motorcycle

Motorcycle Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Motorcycle

I just picked up a 2001 Suzuki Volusia 800 from a family member

Customer Question
for my wife and although...
I just picked up a 2001 Suzuki Volusia 800 from a family member for my wife and although it runs great, for some reason the neutral light quits working right after warming up. Cold the neutral light works fine and the engine will start / run with the side stand down, however once it warms up, not only will the neutral light stop working but if you put the side stand down again (WHILE IN NEUTRAL) the engine will shut off. Not the end of the world but CAN be a bit bothersome.
Jim in Phoenix, AZ
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/30/2015
Motorcycle Mechanic: Wayne S., Motorcycle Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Wayne S.
Wayne S., Motorcycle Mechanic
Sounds like a faulty gear position switch. It is locatedjust above the side stand switch on the left side of the engine.The switch connects a blue wire to a black/white wirewhen you are in neutral so the engine can start.Basically it is doing the same thing as the side stand switchonly it does it when in neutral so the bike canrun on the stand. It works by grounding the side standrelay when in neutral only.It probably has some bad contacts in the switch.You can bypass it but then the bike willrun with the side stand down and could be dangerous.Let me know if you need more info.-----
Wayne S.
Wayne S.
Wayne S., Motorcycle Mechanic