How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jeff Policky Your Own Question
Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Category: Motorcycle
Satisfied Customers: 2425
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
Type Your Motorcycle Question Here...
Jeff Policky is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a kawasaki 250 atv that is dripping fuel from the breather

Customer Question

I have a kawasaki 250 atv that is dripping fuel from the breather the coming from the bottom of the carb.My gas drips out!
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 2 years ago.
Hi and thank you for your question.Generally, this is associated with a stuck float or float needle. If the ATV has been sitting un-used for more than 30 days, it is almost guaranteed the carb needs to be cleaned.The best way to clean it is to remove it from the ATV, take it apart and soak it in either Yamaha carb cleaner/dip or, believe it or not, Pinesol. The Yamaha carb cleaner/dip is available from a Yamaha dealer, usually runs under $15 for a quart. You mix it with 2 qts. of water and soak over night. If you have a hot plate, you can heat the water and it will work in about 30 minutes. Hot, but not boiling. This solution boils well below straight water and will be gone before you know it.As crazy as it sounds, pinesol works well. Soak the carb and all carb parts in the pinesol over night. Rinse thoroughly with warm water when done soaking. Reassemble and install back on ATV.If the ATV has not been sitting, check the float to make sure it has not sunk (gas inside the actual floats) or the needle shows a wear ring around the tip. In either case, replace the affected component.ThanksRSRBOB