Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

2001 super glide with street cams, 1550 cylinders, large hd

Customer Question

2001 super glide with street cams, 1550 cylinders, large hd carb, vance and hinds exhaust and high compression pistons using a lot of oil and don't see any leaks. now it is making a sound that I thought was an exhaust leak. it seems to be coming from the front cylinder. back exhaust bottom outside loaded with carbon (black). new plugs installed but didn't see any sign of oil on plugs.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  P.J. replied 2 years ago.
The first step is to check the compression. Also do a leakdown test. You can tell a lot based on these results. You may just have a ring or valve problem (best case). You'll of course need to know why which will take a bunch more disassembly and digging. There is also the possibility of a broken piston cooling jet. This causes oil to build up in the sump and creates all kinds of issues. You can check for oil in the sump by pulling the crank sensor and looking down in the hole or by removing the case drain plug and noting how much oil comes out. Anything more than a few ounces indicates a problem. This can be a very expensive problem to fix so let's hope it isn't that. I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Thanks, P.J.