Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

400: My 2008 ATV goes to neutral but the light do not come…

Customer Question
My 2008 ATV goes to...
My 2008 ATV goes to neutral but the light do not come on and the Honda won't start
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
6/25/2015
Motorcycle Mechanic: Wayne S., Motorcycle Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Wayne S.
Wayne S., Motorcycle Mechanic
Can you give me the model and engine size of your Honda?I will look it up and reply once I have your info.Thanks.
400 Fourtrax rancher
Hi, check your neutral switch on the left side almost in line with your left footpeg. It works by grounding the neutral light whenin neutral. It has a light green wire on it. If you ground the light green wire the neutral light should come on. Normally the switch should do that. Let me know what you find.--
Hi ,
I am so sorry, it's a trx 420 not 400
Did not find a green wire
Okay, on that model you have a gear position switch.
The wiring connector is under the right side cover.
It has 8 pins. The light green/red wire should
have continuity to ground when you are in neutral.
It should not have continuity when in gear.
If it has no continuity to ground when in neutral
then the gear position switch is faulty
or the wiring is damaged.
The gear position switch is behind the rear engine cover.
One note is also to check your fuses are okay
as they provide power to the neutral light.
Let me know what you find.
-------
Hi there,
Sorry, never got back to you but we finally checked the fuse and it had blown so we changed it and blew couple more fuses even just upon turning the ignition. What would cause that?
If it blows fuses you have a dead short in the wiring.
It might be a wire pinched somewhere or rubbed through
on something sharp.
Put a test light across the fuse instead of a fuse.
Start disconnecting things until the light goes out.
The short will be in that circuit.
Let me know if that helps.
----
How do I do a test light and until what goes off?
Put two wires together using and without the fuse the Honda started though. Just for your info. Is that ok to do that?
No, don't operate without the fuse it could damage wiring.
Try a slightly higher amp fuse might be okay.
---
You can get a 12 volt testing light from an auto parts store
or make one out of a bulb and two wires.
Where the fuse plugs in connect the test light across
and leave the fuse out.
Instead of blowing a fuse the light will come on.
See if disconnecting various things makes the light
dim or go out. That will likely be the thing or circuit
that is causing the fuse to blow.
Look for pinched wires or places where the wires have
been hot or melting.
Look for wires that might have got rubbed or cut through
causing the short circuit.
-----
Could it be something else, like we are using a snowmobile battery?