Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004
11090168

I have an '08 Road King with 14,500 miles. I had the major

Customer Question

I have an '08 Road King with 14,500 miles.
I had the major 15,000 mile service done at 13,000 miles along with 2 new tires installed.
2 days ago my rear wheel bearings failed damaging the brakes and also my wheel hub.
Questions:
Isn't that a very short life for a wheel bearing?
Should anything have been noticed/replaced at the 15,000 mile maintenance service?
During the tire changing should anything have been noticed/replaced or installed improperly?
The wheels are HD 8 spoke chrome and no longer available so I will be forced to buy 2 new wheels. I'm going to be out over $1,500 for a problem that should never have occurred. Will HD pay for any of this?
Thank you, Lee
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
there is no service interval for HD wheel bearings since they went to the "twin cam" sealed bearings.a good tech will spin the wheels and listen/look for signs of impending failure, but if there are no signs he will no go farther.your best option in the future is to inspect the bearings whenever the wheel is off for a tire change. what I have found is, they start to leak first.....and typically, they leak INSIDE the wheel. so if you don't check, you won't know.trying to get HD to pay for anything anymore is a battle in itself.you should plead your case to the service manager, general manager and owner of the franchise. for what you paid for the service, you should be able to feel comfortable in the knowledge the dealership would have found anything wrong with your bike......that's why they tell you to bring it in.since your warranty has nothing to do with where your bike is serviced......you can perform all recommended service yourself or at any Independent shop of your choice......why would you pay the ridiculous HD service rates if they can't even let you know when your bike has a problem.those wheel bearings did not fail in 1500 miles.......there were signs. the signs were missed.you can also complain to HD in Milwaukee. the dealership will provide the contact information for you to do that.you can also leave feedback at the dealership......or at least you could when I worked there. the Tech's get money for good reviews and HD bears down hard on the dealerships for bad feedback.best of luckSteve