Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

08 het softail starts fine cold. When all most starts then…

Customer Question
08 het softail starts fine...
08 het softail starts fine cold. When all most starts then like coughs bAck. But if you turn Switch on to repump 3 times and twist throttle at end usally will then start. 57000 miles
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
6/23/2015
Motorcycle Mechanic: P.J., Technician replied 3 years ago
P.J.
P.J., Technician
A couple things come to mind. The first check I'd make is of the fuel pressure. You may have developed a leak in a fuel line causing the fuel pressure to bleed off prior to starting the bike. You can actually hear a leak in the line if you remove the filler cap and listen down in the tank while you turn the bike on. The pump will pressurize and then shut off and if you hear gas spraying after it shuts off then you have a leak and will need to replace the line. It also could be an issue with your Idle Air Control (IAC). It is located directly on top of the outer end of your intake just behind the backing plate for the air cleaner. It supplies all your idle air and if it stops opening there is not enough air for the bike to run on. When you crack the throttle plate you are bypassing the IAC and allowing air in. If you remove the air cleaner you can (should) see the IAC plunger draw back away from the port in the intake when the throttle is closed and when the bike is cycles off and on. If it doesn't move then you many need to replace it. The only true way to know if it is properly working is to connect it to a diagnostic computer to see what the motor step count is at certain times. A dealer or an independent shop with the proper computer can help you with this. I hope this helps. Thanks, P.J.