Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a 2012 Zuma 125. I just changed the oil. I put in…

Customer Question
I have a 2012 Zuma...
I have a 2012 Zuma 125. I just changed the oil. I put in 3.59 cups, (0.80L). I measured what came out and it was 4 cups. What gives?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
6/23/2015
Motorcycle Mechanic: RSRBOB, Technician replied 2 years ago
RSRBOB
RSRBOB, Technician
Yamaha specifies in their service manual that capacity for periodic oil changes is between 0.80l and 0.90l. If the engine/oil was warmed up or hot when you changed it, the liquid expanded due to heating and caused the increased reading in capacity. As long as your oil level is between the high and low levels on the dipstick when you check it, you have the correct amount of oil in your engine. If you start at the minimum oil capacity and you see the oil level is at the lower level on the dipstick, you can add oil until you get it at the upper end of the safe range on your dipstick. The bot***** *****ne is the dipstick doesn't lie. If it says the oil level is where it is supposed to be, then you have nothing to worry about.Thanks for your question!RSRBOB
I just find it strange there was 1/2 cup more then what I put in. After my ride home from work, about 7 miles, I let it sit for about half an hour before I changed out my oil. I half a cup normal expantion?
I would not normally expect to get more oil out of an engine than what I put in. I would suggest keeping a close eye on the level and if it starts going up, check for fluid contamination. Obviously an engine will not produce oil or increase the volume on its own. If after this recent oil change you do not encounter the problem again, I would consider it a fluke. If it happens again, I believe something else is getting in the oil, possibly gas. Customer
RSRBOB
RSRBOB
RSRBOB, Technician