Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

Kawasaki Ninja 250: runs great; shift into first and it dies.

Customer Question
Kawasaki Ninja 250: runs...
Kawasaki Ninja 250: runs great; shift into first and it dies. Like the clutch is stuck. Cant shift into a higher at all.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
6/21/2015
Motorcycle Mechanic: Wayne S., Motorcycle Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Wayne S.
Wayne S., Motorcycle Mechanic
Will the clutch slip if you put the bike in a higher gearand push the bike or is the clutch locked up?
No, tried that. Can't even shift it into a higher. Neutral or first is al.
The clutch seems locked up. The lever moves the arm on the side of the bike
Are you able to drive in first or just stalls?
The bike has been parked inside for the past two month
Just stalls. will shift into first but when the clutch is let out is stalls
Not a power problem but seems to be a mechanical problem.
It might break loose if it is the clutch plates stuckbut if it won't shift into second gear when the motoris off then the shifter assy might be broken.
Okay, how do I determine that?
The shifter assembly will shift it down into first but that's it.
What do you think?
It should shift through the gears when engine is off if you just shift it as normally and rock the bike a bit so the gears engage.If it won't shift then your shifter is broken.If it shifts okay but the bike stalls when put in gearwhile running then the clutch discs or plates are stucktogether. They will sometimes break loose on a drive but if not the clutch has to be removed and the plates cleaned up or replaced.Either way the clutch cover may have to come off unless youhave stuck plates which might let go once warmed up and driven.---
Will give it a shot.
Sounds like a shifter problem if it won't shift.Check the lever is free.
http://cdn1.bikebandit-images.com/schematics/schematics/kawasaki/kaw019/ka-0705-00195.gif
Wayne: got it working. Ran the rpms up and brute forced it to go. Works now.
So, that was quick, must have been stuck from sitting so long.It everything working now?--
This is the clutch and plates:http://cdn1.bikebandit-images.com/schematics/schematics/kawasaki/kaw019/ka-0705-00170.gif
If you were satisfied with my help please remit payment and give a good rating. This is so I can continue to serve you in the future.
Thank you,
Wayne S
---