Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

Kawasaki VN 1500. 88: I have a Kawasaki VN1500 88 and keep

Customer Question

I have a Kawasaki VN1500 88 and keep getting flat batteries apart from being the generator what else can it be there seems to be a problem with the Hi beam switch
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Wayne S. replied 2 years ago.
If you run at low rpm or just short drives you might need a batterytender or small battery charger on it.Have you checked the charging output on the battery?What happens with the Hi beam switch?I will look up a schematic for the high beam andreturn shortly if you have replied. Is the battery newand did they charge it initially?thanks---
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No they did,nt charge the battery before fitting and it has just been fully charged and I was able to bring the bike back to town and when we started the bike the generator did,nt charge , it did for second and then not . I did not want to use the high beam switch I just wanted to get the to town and I normaly ride for about 42 kms at a time and a long one about every ten days
Expert:  Wayne S. replied 2 years ago.
The charging system should be checked before anything else.If you have a multimeter you can check the AC voltageon the yellow stator wires after disconnecting it.Just check between any two yellows for voltage.Should be 20-50 volts AC or so. If the stator is okay your regulator is probably faulty.--