Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

No spark or low spark at the plug wire ends. Is it the ignition…

Customer Question
No spark or low spark...
No spark or low spark at the plug wire ends. Is it the ignition coil ?
Is the coil located under the tank ?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
6/21/2015
Motorcycle Mechanic: Wayne S., Motorcycle Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Wayne S.
Wayne S., Motorcycle Mechanic
There are a variety of causes for no spark, one is the ignition coiland spark plug cap. Also depending on what kind of bike you havethere are stator coils, pulse coils and other switches and wiringinvolved. If you can tell me the year and type of bike you haveI can look up the specifics on it. Any other tests or info you have done might also be useful. Thanks.
I gave this info before. It's a 1996 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic, 1500cc. It has 4 plugs, 2 left and 2 right.
I get a weak spark or no spark at all on all plugs when I crank the engine. Battery is fine.
All of the fuses are good. It's getting fuel when I turn the throttle. Is the ignition coil under the tank ?
The coils are behind the rear cylinder are they not?
Does not sound like coil trouble since they all would rarely fail at the same time. I would check for voltage to the coils on the black/red wires and if not over 12 volts check the engine stop switch and ignition switch.--
I haven't had the time to try your advice. I still haven't located the ignition coil. Will try this weekend and let you know.
No problem, get back when you can.
The coils might be behind some covers or
maybe other stuff in the way like coolant tank.
---