Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004
11090168

Carried my 03 classic into HD shop cause it was dying at stop

Customer Question

carried my 03 classic into HD shop cause it was dying at stop signs etc. after it gets warmed up. they suppose to have changed fuel filter and check valve. I was wanting to check and see if they did what they said or not. then trace out what else could be wrong
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
ALWAYS request replaced parts be returned to you. that way you know.now, I have no idea how you would tell. the "check valve" is the fitting in the fuel tank where the fuel line connects. Does it look new?the fuel filter is in the tank. a new one looks just like an old one. I don't know how you would tell if it had been replaced. if a good mechanic did it, you'd never see any evidence of the work being done. the most common problem causing idle issues is a fault with the engine temperature sensor. that is the sensor screwed into the front head just above and forward of the horn. let me know if you need more help.Steve
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
let me know if you need more help.
if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.
thank you,
Steve