Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a 150cc scooter no spark

Customer Question
I have a 150cc scooter no spark
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
I have a 150cc scooter. The wiring was done by the last owner. I replaced the stator, coil, CDI, and solenoid. The solenoid was bad. The coil wire could be good but have a spare. The stator was defective. The bike started after I bought it and drove it home. After shutting the bike off it would not start. I decided since many of the wires were burned from something to rewire it, but I broke it down to the basic components. The stator, the battery (fully charged) bypassing all switches and the solenoid, coil wire, cdi, and starter. I was able to determine the ground to the starter was bad so I rewired a new ground and the starter spins faster. I am getting voltages from the stator cables and a reading from the coil tip that plugs into the spark plug, but no spark. I checked the voltages from the CDI and I am getting readings from 6, 2, 1 - pins 3 & 4 are ground on the CDI and pin 5 is not connected to a ground.
I have not hooked up the rectifier since everything I have found shows me that is for the lights and the charging of the battery. I have a battery charger hooked up to the battery to prevent the battery from charging down. I tested the 3 leads coming from the stator that hook to the rectifier and there is no voltages, but when I hook them up to the rectifier I get voltages coming from the other leads. I am trying to create a closed loop system for now. There is no ignition switch, and I and touching the positive cable from the battery directly to the terminal for the starter. The starter turns faster now that I have a good ground. I am getting voltages from the two bullet connecters from the stator. The Red bullet connector is around 11 Volts, the blue and white from the pickup is .5 sometimes less. The CDI pin 6 is 11 volts and pin 1 around 5. Pin 2 of the CDI is .1 sometimes higher. Again, I do not have wiring schematics for this bike so I have no clue what the appropriate voltages should be. But I believe the rectifier is not needed for the spark. The stator generates the spark, but even using a spark plug test light (new) the bulb does not flash and ground the plug to the bike I see no spark but I get voltages from the cap.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Provide Diagrams, Manuals, or Instructions. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Is anyone available to answer my question?
Not connected to CDI voltages: Ohm meter set to 20VR&B wire going to pin 6 50/60 volts
Pickup wire 10/16 voltsConnected to CDI: 20 v setting(Pin 2) 29/30 volts
The rectifier two bullet connections red 3.5
(Pin 1) 41
(Pin 6) 40/50Coil tip 26/14These are all the voltages. I am getting .26 when I start the revolutions and it drops down to 14 the tip of the coil where the spark plug goes is 26. When I hook a spark plug and ground it to the bike no spark. When I run my meter to the tip of the spark plug no voltages.
6/9/2015
Motorcycle Mechanic: Louie, Technician replied 3 years ago
Louie, Technician
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...Initially, bear with us; re-confirm and post back with the complete make & model number of the 150cc scooter. Still but largely dependent on the make/model, proposed preliminary checks (if have not been done) when attempting to start:• CDI kill wire;• low pulsating AC Voltage from the pulse coil to the CDI;• high pulsating DC Voltage from the capacitor charging coil to the CDI;• pulsating DC Voltage from the CDI to the ignition coil. Please post back results / observations of the above once re-tried.