Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a 85 Yamaha motor 600cc Street bike. Like a Radian…

Customer Question
I have a 85 Yamaha...
I have a 85 Yamaha motor 600cc Street bike. Like a Radian or Maxim. My question is about motor mounts. How many other years have the same? 92 fzr 600?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/6/2015
Motorcycle Mechanic: RSRBOB, Technician replied 3 years ago
RSRBOB
RSRBOB, Technician
Hi and thank you for your question.
Yamaha had 2 different air cooled engines out around 1985. Without knowing exactly what engine you have, it is impossible to tell you what it will and will not fit.
However, if it happens to be a FZ600 or an FJ600 engine, they will bolt into either frame from 1984 up to 1988.
If you have a Radian, those cases, which contain the motor mount points, are a different part number and unique to the Radian. Now the difference could be as simple as the color of the cases. I believe the FZ600 and FJ600 had black cases. If the Radian had silver cases, it would have a different part number and not show up as interchangeable even if they were cast in the same mold.
The Maxim never came in a 600cc displacement, so if you are sure it is a 600 and not a 650, then you have narrowed it down a bit. Also, the Maxim 650's last year of production was 1983. The 650 was a shaft drive bike as well. The 550 was a chain drive.
Sadly, Yamaha, nor any other entity that I know of, produces any resources to chronicle engine to frame interchangeability. The best we can do is a "where used" by part number.
One thing I can 100% guarantee you, it will definitely NOT fit in an FZR frame of any year. The FZR was a total redesign from the ground up, including the delta box frame, which required new and different engine mounts, and a water cooled engine.
I hope this helps. If you get any more specific info on exactly what the engine came out of, I could be more definitive. As stated, that is the best that can be done.
I wish you well.
Thanks, Customer
I was told it is a 85 yz600 motor. I'm looking for orher engines that will fit in its place. The only model that look the same is the Radian or Maxim 650. Would it be safe to say a 83 Maxim 750 should fit?
Perhaps they meant YX. That would make it a Radian. Yamaha's model designation for the Radian is YX600. Since the Maxim is a shaft drive, it will not fit. Customer