Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I took my 94 Road King out first time and had the

Customer Question
I took my 94 Road...
I took my 94 Road King out for the first time and had the following happen. It road good for almost 8 miles then it started to act like at wasn't getting enough fuel, then all of a sudden it would pickup like always, but then a few miles later it would seem like at wasn't getting gas again and stalled(with almost a full tank).
I let it sit about 15 minutes and it started right up and was able to go about 2 miles and it stalled out again, I let it sit about 15 minutes and was able to go another 2mile. I put it in the garage and tried to start it, and now it will not start. I tried to emppty the tank , I thought if I replace the gas but could not get the pet cock to drain. The SS carb is getting gas. Help!
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
6/6/2015
Motorcycle Mechanic: Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
the petcock is vacuum operated.make sure the vacuum line is connected and not leaking.it is known to fail and restrict fuel to the carb. try draining the tank by turning the petcock to ON and cranking the engine OR connecting a vacuum test pump to the vacuum nipple on the back side of the petcock. if the flow is restricted, you should replace the petcock. if the petcock is not restricting the fuel flow, you should check the fuel tank vent. let me know if you need more help.Steve
Is the vacuum line the hose that goes directly to the carb?
How do I check to make sure the gas tank is venting, there is only one cap , would that have a vent in it?
- the vacuum line is the line that comes off the back side of the petcock and goes to the intake manifold side of the card or the manifold itself and also to the VOES, between the cylinders, up on the upper motor mount.- your fuel tank is not vented through the cap. it is vented through a hose connected to the tank. see link:http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/ronnies/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=hdmc&a=173&b=40&c=0&d=1994%20FLHR%20ROAD%20KING%AE%20(FD)%20FUEL%20TANK%20ASSEMBLY parts 21,9 and 14. the vapor valve (14) can become restricted, preventing the fuel tank from venting. the hoses can also become crimped or smashed.- to determine if you have a venting problem, drain the tank through the petcock into a fuel can. you should see a steady, solid stream of fuel the entire time the tank is draining. anything else indicates a venting or petcock problem. to drain the tank through the petcock, you will have to crank the engine or connect a vacuum test [ump to the petcock. let me know if you need more help.Steve
Hi Steve,
Since I don't have a vacuum tester I choice to turn over the engine , the pet cock was draining, good steady flow, but my battery started to go dead before I could get all the gas out. I let it recharge its
Self, and now I can't get any gas out of the pet cock.
so you are cranking the engine with petcock ON and RES positions and there is fuel in the tank you cannot get to drain? please be specific.
Right, its was draining, but since I gave the battery a break it is no longer draining. I tried putting the petcock in on and reserve, tried cranking the engine , nothing. I did remove the spark plugs to do this, but I don't think thats has anything to do with it.
recharge your battery.replace the fuel with new fuel treated with SEAFOAM to clean out the fuel system. let me know if you need more help.Steve
Could the battery being weak create this malfuction?
no.but wait....you have conflicting statements above. tell me .........when the petcock is in ON or RES AND there is fuel in the tank AND you push the start button and the starter cranks the engine over.......do you get fuel flow from the tank?in one reply you say yes....in another reply you say no.yes or no? tell me everything you can.Steve
I was getting flow, but as the battery got weaker no flow. I have drained the tank and put new gas treated
With Seafoam and a new battery, as the other was three years old, its charging now.
let me know if you need more help.Steve