Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I am the proud owner of a 1983 GPZ1100.It's all stock

Customer Question
Hello, I am the proud...
Hello, I am the proud owner of a 1983 GPZ1100.It's all stock and really want to keep it that way but recently have developed a problem with it shutting off a minute after starting. Sometimes will run longer but as soon as I take it off choke it will die. All my
sensors seem to be checking out right. I did get stuck in a really bad rain storm right before this happened. I also had checked and adjusted the valves right before this happened .I ripped it down and did it again after questioning myself because of the way it was stalling. I have spent hours and hours trying to figure this out. I have a lot of extra parts and even tried replacing the ecm . It actually ran for about 2 minutes but then died. Also changed fuel pump relay,fuel pressure regulator,fuel filter,fuse box .I have hit a brick wall with this situation. Any info on what to do would be greatly appreciated. than you, Todd
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
6/4/2015
Motorcycle Mechanic: Jeremy R., Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Jeremy R.
Jeremy R., Mechanic
Hi, My name is***** you for letting me try and assist you with your problem.
From your description it seems that it's fuel delivery related.
If you can keep it running for as long as you want using choke then your just not getting fuel through the carbs.
If it runs on choke you know there's fuel in the carbs so it has to be the carbs themselves.
Any adjustments, synchronization, or float settings not right would cause this.
If you messed with the cables when doing the valves they might be off.
There wouldn't be any other reason for it.
You should be able to take it off choke and keep it running on starting fluid as well and you might try doing that just as verification.
Looks to me like you're going to have to go through the carbs.
Jeremy ,thank you for the quick response but this bike is fuel injected. In my description I mention fuel pump, relay and ecm which is the computer in the bike. Kawasaki had Digital Fuel Injection on the Gpz1100 in 1982 - 84. This is one of those problems that a mechanic from the old school can probably help me with.
Motorcycle Mechanic: Louie, Technician replied 3 years ago
Louie, Technician
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...Initially and if have not been done; drain the tank, flush/clean and change the fuel. And then check the burn color of the sparkplugs. Please post back results / observations of the above once tried.