Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

03 fxdxt ck eng lite on,tach inopp low beam inopp,wont go into…

Customer Question
03 fxdxt ck eng lite...
03 fxdxt ck eng lite on,tach inopp low beam inopp,wont go into diagnostics to throw a code
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
6/3/2015
Motorcycle Mechanic: Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
ensure you are using this procedure to retrieve diagnostic codes:1. Remove right side saddlebag and side cover if so equipped. Remove protective plug from data link connector. Other models will be under the seat.2. To activate the diagnostic feature,follow these steps.a. Create diagnostic test wire or use a female spade clip which will bridge the two terminals perfectly.b. Install diagnostic test wire/clip across Terminals 1 and 2 on the data link connector, they are marked.c. Turn Ignition/Light Key Switch to IGNITION and wait approximately 10 seconds (4 seconds lamp ON, 6 seconds lamp OFF) for check engine lamp to start flashing.3. All trouble codes are sent out as a series of flashes. To retrieve the first digit of the trouble code simply observe the number of times the lamp flashes.a. The lamp will then flash one or more times to indicate the first digit of the trouble code.b. The length of time the lamp is illuminated and the length of time in which it is off are each about 0.5 second in duration.4. The second digit follows:a. Following the transmission of the first digit, there is a 1.2 second pause in which the lamp is off.b. The lamp will then flash one or more times to indicate the second digit of the trouble code. Count the number of times the lamp flashes to retrieve the second digit.5. If more than one trouble code is sent:a. Following transmission of the second digit of the first code, there is a 3 second pause in which the lamp is off.b. Once all codes have been sent, the data string is repeated. When you have recorded the same trouble code twice, it is an indication that the transmission has been restarted and that all trouble codes have been retrieved.IMPORTANT NOTE ..If diagnostic test wire is installed across Pins 1 and 2 on connector in lieu of a Scanalyzer, the ECM is placed in a diagnostic test mode and the engine will start. The test wire must be removed from the data connector and the ignition switch turned OFF or the check engine lamp will continue to flash codes. A historic trouble code resides in the memory of the ECM until the code is cleared by use of the Scanalyzer or a total of 50 trips has elapsed. A “trip” consists of a start and run cycle, the run cycle lasting at least 30 seconds. After the 50 trip retention period, the trouble code is automatically erased from memory (that is, assuming no subsequent faults of the same type are detected in that period). The numbers after the 'historic' or 'current' is the speedo code number, but without the electrical diagnostics manual you're not going to know what they mean. let me know what you find.Steve
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
did you perform the procedure I sent?what happened?
i tried to do the procedure long before i contacted you steve, it wont even throw a code,it wont go into diagnostics,it does nothing when ishort 1 2 on the lead. buz
just to cover all the bases, try this:To activate the diagnostic feature of the Check Engine Lamp, proceed as follows:1)Turn the Ignition/Light Key Switch to IGNITION for three seconds (one second pause after the fuel pump stops running), and then turn switch back to the OFF position for three seconds.2)Repeat the instructions under step 1. above3)Turn the Ignition/Light Key Switch to IGNITION and wait approximately eight seconds for the Check Engine Lamp to start flashing.4)All trouble codes are sent out as a series of flashes. To retrieve the first digit of the trouble code simply observe the number of times the lamp flashes. The lamp will then flash one or more times to indicate the first digit of the trouble code. The length of time the lamp is illuminated and the length of time in which it is off are each about 0.5 second in duration. The second digit follows: following the transmission of the first digit, there is a 1.2 second pause in which the lamp is off. The lamp will then flash one or more times to indicate the second digit of the trouble code. Count the number of times the lamp flashes to retrieve the second digit.5)If more than one trouble code is sent: following transmission of the second digit of the first code, there is a 3 second pause in which the lamp is off. Once all codes have been sent, the data string is repeated.EFI Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) and Fault Conditions let me know if that makes a difference.Steve