Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

Honda ATV 2003 Honda rancher ES350TE. Cannot get the neutral…

Customer Question
Honda ATV 2003 Honda rancher...
Honda ATV 2003 Honda rancher ES350TE. Cannot get the neutral switch light on and with the auto trans shift buttons only get a 2 and blanks----- up or down when I try to get to neutral. Was starting fine now it won't light up. What to do.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
6/1/2015
Motorcycle Mechanic: Eric, Technician replied 3 years ago
Eric, Technician
hello
I would like to know if the atv is actually going into neutral or not. You can do this by shifting around and when the atv is in neutral you can roll the atv alot easier by pushing it. If you cannot get this done with the electric shift then you can use the emergency shift shaft to accomplish this. If you look on the engine where the riders left foot would ride. there is a shaft that sticks out of the motor. This is the emergency shift shaft. From the factory there is a tool that comes with the atv to fit over that shaft. the you can use it to get into neutral. so once you do find the atv transmission went into neutral let me know if that light comes on or not and that can help determine where the problem may be

By rolling it around it started shifting and went back to neutral. Started riding it and now its stuck in 1st and 1st gear is flashing

Is the flashing happening in any kind of particular pattern or just a constant flash?

I don't have a emergency lever so i used an adj wrench to get back to neutral. It seems to be a constant problem

ok, there is a way to bring up error codes to see what the computer is having a problem with. follow this procedure,
key off, hold down on both up and down shift buttons.
turn key on then release the buttons, then press and hold them both down at the same time until you see the gear indicator on your display start to flash a patter.
this may take a few attempts to get right, but when you do the gear indicator on the display will flash a certain pattern and i would like to know what that is to help further.
thank you

I will do that later today. But it seems like the clutch is slipping when I shift up on gears, will an adjustment take care of that. I've never adjusted it before but I do know how.

there are actually two clutches in this motor. One you can adjust, the other you cant. the one you can adjust is on the front of the engine, toward the left. Its a bit hard to see, but there will be a nut on the case with a slotted screw in the middle of it. When doing this take care because these are usually seized a little bit. But you will want to loosen that lock nut from the middle screw. then you will turn the slotted screw counterclockwise till you feel resistance. the turn it back clockwise 1/4 of a turn. the hold that screw in place while you tighten down the nut.
if this were only a clutch adjustment or clutch failure your gear indicator would still positively shift to other gears and the display would usually act accordingly, so i still believe there may be an electrical error to fix, so when you perform that procedure let me know the fault codes and we can go from there. Thank you.

Eric it being such a tight spot what if you can't get slotted screw to turn. Can you take the locking but off and lube it first to break it free

I know to not break loose with but off or I might spread the adjuster and can't replace the nut

Eric all I am getting is a double flash or two blinks in a pattern

If clutch is slipping will an adj help

unfortunately it is a bit of a tight spot. if the nut does come off it can be replaced without consequence though. if the clutch is slipping the clutch adjustment may help. I was rereading some of the past entries on this and think that its worth mentioning that while you are shifting the clutch should slip. This is what allows for the shifting to happen without needing a seperate clutch lever. but when the shifter is released it the clutch should not slip. it would be hard to know if the clutch is slipping without riding though. the second clutch that is not adjustable is a centrifugal clutch that only engages with the engine rpms are high enough. If that centrifugal clutch is bad it would make the atv appear to be in nuetral all the time as well. but the atv should still shift through the gears. so with your best judgement does it appear the gears are trying to shift, then when they do the display begins to show the -- error?

I have it shifting fine but everybody says the clutch slips. I haven't ridden one enough to know. It just goes into gear with a slip like you are not letting a clutch out fast enough. They seem to think it should pop into gear.

Oh and I do not show an error on the display unless I do like u said to test with the up/down buttons and that is the double blink. What is that code mean

eric N flashing 123---123 ---123