Motorcycle

Motorcycle Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Motorcycle

I have 2001 r6 which was running fine then I washed it

Customer Question
Hi. I have 2001 r6...
Hi. I have 2001 r6 which was running fine then I washed it by hand. Now it cranks but won't start. I have the fuel tank off and I changed the sparks. Could it be an electrical problem?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
The battery is brand new and charged. It cranks really powerfully but won't start. It won't even bump start.
5/30/2015
Motorcycle Mechanic: RSRBOB, Technician replied 2 years ago
RSRBOB
RSRBOB, Technician
HI and thank you for your question.
This definitely sounds like an electrical problem. Although it should not affect the bike, generally if you experience a no start issue after washing a bike it is an electrical problem.
My suggestion is to verify we are not getting spark. To do this, pull the spark plug caps off the plugs in the engine and put your old spark plugs in them and lay the metal shell of the spark plug on the valve cover. They will need to be grounded to do this test. If you don't have the old spark plugs, you can pull the new ones out and use them, just don't place them in the vicinity of where the open spark plug holes are in case it blows gas out and they are sparking. It would combust and would burn you, possibly severely, if you are in its way.
Once you determine whether you have an electrical problem or not, we can go from there. Right now we know we need spark, fuel and compression to make an engine run. We need to determine which one is missing first, then diagnose that system.
Thanks Customer
Thanks. I couldn't manage to get a spark yet. But the bike started now when I put it back together. Then it wouldn't start again. I left it overnight and in the morning it started.
OK. Sounds like an intermittent problem. I would suggest disconnecting all the harness connectors one at a time, cleaning them, putting dielectric grease on them and reconnecting them, 1 at a time. :)
If you need additional help, let me know.
Thanks Customer
RSRBOB
RSRBOB
RSRBOB, Technician