Motorcycle

Motorcycle Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Motorcycle

I have a 2008 Hypermotard and it starts and runs fine until

Customer Question
Hi I have a 2008...
Hi I have a 2008 Hypermotard and it starts and runs fine until you put it in gear then the engine dies and will not restart until its in nuetral.
I replaced the sidestand switch and still the same.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
5/28/2015
Motorcycle Mechanic: Wayne S., Motorcycle Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Wayne S.
Wayne S., Motorcycle Mechanic

Welcome,

I would suggest checking the clutch lever switch.
If you have changed levers that could be an issue too.
You can try a jumper on the switch but it may need
replacement to function properly.
-----
I checked with a meter and the clutch switch is working
Give me a awhile and I will check wiring for other
possibilities.
Does the bike stall even if the idle is fast?
Is it jumping forward like a sticky clutch
or more of a electrical fault?
-----
even with the rpm up its like you hit the kill switch. goes into gear nice and smooth but dies when shifted
The way it works is the neutral switch works in neutral for starting and
the side stand switch works when it is up and
the clutch switch is also pushed. Those two work together
to accomplish the same task as the neutral switch does.
If it dies in gear then either the bike "thinks" the side stand
is down or the clutch switch is not activated by the lever.
Could also be a loose wire connection.
Can you check if the lever is properly pushing the clutch
switch and does it register on the multimeter when
you use the lever?
A bad connection on the side stand or clutch switch wiring could
replicate the problem of a faulty switch.
I will get back to you in a bit after looking over
some wiring diagrams.
Thanks
---
A likely suspect since you replaced the side stand
switch is the side stand relay, here is a picture
(you will have to cut/paste into your browser to
see it.)
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/attachments/superbikes/66825d1272084168-side-stand-switch-bypass-better-way-relay.jpg
This relay may be the problem if the new switch is connected
and functioning well and clutch switch is all good as well.
I think your problem will likely be in one of these switch,
wiring, relay areas.
-----
Wayne S.
Wayne S.
Wayne S., Motorcycle Mechanic