Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

The starter on my '86 Suzuki Cavalcade spins, it even registers…

Customer Question
The starter on my...
The starter on my '86 Suzuki Cavalcade spins, it even registers on thee tach, but doesn't engage the engine. On top of that the starter motor will not come out with the bolts removed.
How do I get the motor out and what is broken?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
5/26/2015
Motorcycle Mechanic: Wayne S., Motorcycle Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Wayne S.
Wayne S., Motorcycle Mechanic

Welcome,

Hi, you just have to pull the starter motor
straight out once the bolts are out.
It has an o-ring fitted on the end as a seal
and it takes some steady pull to get it out.
Don't try to wiggle it too much, the hole is tight
with the o-ring in there. Pull it straight and even
and it should start to move.
Your starter pinion or drive is likely the problem.
They work like a one-way clutch and the unit
gets worn over time. Much like the starter drive or
"bendix" drive on a automobile.
Let me know what you need.
-----
I ordered a used starter pinion since new isn't available. It didn't solve the problem. Could it be electrical? I found a mouse nest in the upper right portion of the fairing. Mice chew wires. Or could it be the starter? I jumper'ed again and something still spins.Mike
That is very strange, it sounds like the starter is
turning but not turning the engine over?
The starter runs the pinion which is directly geared
to the flywheel rotor when engaged.
The only thing I can think of is
that the rotor gear is loose which is unlikely
or that the rotor itself has stripped a key
and is slipping on the crankshaft.
Some engines use a one way clutch behind the rotor
which can slip if the rollers and springs are damaged.
That's about all it could be as the pinion is the usual
problem. My money is on the stripped rotor key for now.
----
After checking all that I could I put it back together and jumper'ed from the battery to the starter. The starter engaged the pinion and I heard it engage the rotor but nothing else. No sound or any indication the motor tried to turn over. I figured the battery didn't have enough juice to do it. Installed a new battery and it turned over immediately. It would seem I had a discombooberated, as in calcified, 2 yr. old, $120, maintenance free battery. And the shop I bought it from is no longer in business.Thanks for your help. Even though it wasn't the problem I learned a bit more about my bike.***** *****
If you got it going that is great, at least
it got a good checkover in the process.
Enjoy riding!
WS
----