Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I just bought a new batt from my local HD dealer. I installed…

Customer Question
I just bought a new...
I just bought a new batt from my local HD dealer. I installed and all was fine. 3 days later, it won't start. I did not add drip cable, as I thought, its a brand new batt, it won't fad in 2/3 days? Then I went to start...Click Click Click...as a normal dead batt...So, I went to jump, but when I hook up to jump, the bike acts DEAD...I get nothing! it is as if the bike has no elec at all? Then when I unhook jump cables, the bike lights up...still does not start, but put in the start position the "N" and the "oil" lights come on? So I put the jump cables back on and again NOTHING...no "N' light or "oil" light...nothing DEAD! What the hell?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
5/23/2015
Motorcycle Mechanic: P.J., Technician replied 3 years ago
P.J.
P.J., Technician
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be working with you today.
Very strange for sure. Do you have a volt meter available?
No. I am at my 2nd home...no shop and limited tools. As I just bought the batt, I know I can take it back, as it is under 30 days...but it is the strangest thing. To have lights come on with NO jumper cables attached, then to have nothing when cables are attached...I was just trying to save myself a*****to the HD dealer...an hour there hour back.
I see. Though uncommon, it is possible to get a new battery that is bad. A bad battery will not jumpstart. Strange I know but they will not.
It is odd that the jumper cables cause the light to go out though. I'm sure you have already but just double check the polarity of both ends of the jumper cables to insure they are properly connected.
You can have the battery load tested at about any auto parts store if there is one nearby. You may have a good battery but an electrical drain somewhere in the system. Knowing the status of the battery is the first step.
If you have a 10mm to disconnect the battery cables you can try removing the battery cables from the new bike battery and carefully connecting them directly to the jumper cables. If the bike acts normal connected this way then you know the new HD battery is the problem.
Without a meter you are pretty well limited to visual inspection of things that may cause your issue. Inspect both ends of both battery cables to insure they are corrosion free and the connections are tight.
I hope this helps. Thanks, P.J.