Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

1992 suzuki quad runner 250 came in with no spark problem coil…

Customer Question
1992 suzuki quad runner 250...
1992 suzuki quad runner 250 came in with no spark problem coil checked out fine replaced cdi got it running but would not rev up slide diaphram was torn replaced slide dif solved that problem but at idle it will rev way up then die ,it will start back up idle fine rev up & die .tried another carb. off another 250 just like it . It dose the same thing adjusted the valves twice warm & cold.still dose the same thing.pulled the plug .running a bit lean,tride a direct gravity feed fuel bottel .no change. Some times it will miss ,sounds like a valve hanging up, adjusting idle air dosent help quad only has 545 miles on it. PLEASE HELP
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
5/22/2015
Motorcycle Mechanic: Wayne S., Motorcycle Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Wayne S.
Wayne S., Motorcycle Mechanic

Welcome,

Sounds like it is running very lean. I suspect
there must be an air leak somewhere around
the carb or intake manifold.
Check it with some carb spray or starting fluid.
See if the engine speed changes.
Check if the fuel petcock has a vacuum line,
the petcock diaphragm might be torn allowing
fuel to pass by. Maybe the float bowl is not
receiving sufficient fuel to keep it full.
Check tank or gas cap for plugged air vent.
Also check the ignition with a timing light if possible
to see if timing is stable.
Let me know any new info.
-----