How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P.J. Your Own Question
P.J., Technician
Category: Motorcycle
Satisfied Customers: 750
Experience:  10 years as a mechanic and fabricator in a privately owned, local, custom bike shop.
Type Your Motorcycle Question Here...
P.J. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just replaced the speedometer on my 2006 HD 883 and I am

Customer Question

I just replaced the speedometer on my 2006 HD 883 and I am receiving the following message [V IN ER ]
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  P.J. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be working with you today.
The VIN error message appears only (at least on your model bike) when the gauge has already been "married" (installed on) to another bike. This process happens when the gauge is installed and accumulated more than 31.1 miles.
I'm not sure there is any way around it.
A dealer may be able to reset the gauge using the digital tech computer but I've never tried to have one do it. They probably can if you have proof of previous mileage as the main reason for this marrying procedure is to try to prevent odometer fraud.
Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Related Motorcycle Questions