Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

Sure, eric. I have a 2001 Honda rancher trx350es. Lately

Customer Question

sure, hi eric. I have a 2001 Honda rancher trx350es. Lately sometimes just clicks when I press starter button, and starter won't turn engine over (has new battery). If I shift up to 5th gear and back down to neutral one or sometimes several times, it will start then. Sometimes it will start a few times in a row before the problem returns. I am always able to get it to go, so far, but sometimes have to shift thru the range a few times. Any ideas? Thanks! Nate
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...Initially (and if have not been tried), the prescribed preliminary approach would be; inspect the battery & ground lines and/or check/clean the battery cables + terminals as a preliminary consideration. Better yet, have the battery externally charged and then load tested (even if new and/or just for purposes of eliminating it as a suspect).Additionally, check or better yet, replace the starter relay. To locate the starter relay, start by following the big cable from the + terminal of the battery as it always ends up tied to 1 of the 2 big terminals of the starter relay. Carefully but quickly/momentarily jump the two (2) big terminals. This is a bypass of the starter relay to enable the starter motor to spin:if no starter action, then starter motor issue;if slow starter action, then battery/voltage/connection concern;if would start as expected, then a likely possible starter relay and/or its wiring fault.Please post back results / observations of the above once tried.